Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Teach For America

Well, friends, I got some big news today! I know, I know. You're usually dying to hear more interesting things, like the outfits I wore this week and ways that I make fun of my roommates. But it's not everyday that you get grownup future plans falling into place, so I have to share! I've been waiting for March 6 for awhile now.

Why, you ask?

Today I found out that I am accepted as a Teach For America  2012 corps member! I've been placed in Chicago and am slotted for teaching K-8 Language Arts. I'll get more specific information about school placement and exactly what classes as time goes on.

I submitted my application for the January 6 deadline, did a phone interview three weeks after that, and went through a final in-person interview at Loyola downtown on February 15 (you saw my interview outfit in this post.) Since then, I knew that 7:00 p.m. on March 6, 2012 was going to be a pretty important time for me. Throughout the process, I've filled in millions of forms, read lots of articles, and researched the work that TFA does. It's an awesome and effective program.

For tonight, I'm throwing myself a small party with this blog post. Starting tomorrow, I'm going to take a few days to truly figure out what my placement looks like and pray about my next move. I have an initial hunch that I will say "YES!" to the offer, as well as keeping my eyes open for every opportunity that presents itself in the next few months. As options like this come up I am reminded of how good God is to me, every day. It really blows me away. He knows what I need before I even tell him! I have a feeling I'll write more on that stuff in the near future, but for now, I'm just happy for some good news! Come over to Melvina and I'll give you a high five to celebrate!

4 comments:

  1. congratulations! That's great news.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How exciting!! Is this a paid position? Will you be at one school? Can you help Karley land a job?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karyl - I have to interview around to Chicago principals and I will be placed where I am offered a job first. Karley can work as my personal fitness instructor - I want to get a six pack next year so I'll hire her for that.

    ReplyDelete