Thursday, March 22, 2012

Midnight Obsessions

I have a few obsessions that I pick up here and there. I've jumped on a few bandwagons in my day. It all started with Giga pets, my 1996 Air Jordans, Beanie Babies, and Doodle Bears. The rest is history. These days my obsessions include bangs, chocolate silk soy milk, Zooey Deschanel and her TV show, high-waisted skirts, and this thing that you're reading - blogging. Tonight, I will indulge in TWO of my obsessions at THE SAME TIME: preteen book-to-movie series and midnight movie theater excursions.

I love movies. I love movies even more when there is a book that I can read before I see it. I love movies even MORE when in said book there is a vampire, werewolf, and an angsty annoying female main character. Yes, I am all-aboard the Twilight train. You may consider me a Twihard. I also love seeing movies at midnight. Since doing so in high school for the Pirates of the Caribbean, I've been dying to see every major movie come out at midnight. Harry Potters, Twilights, and the mother of all midnight showings: The Dark Knight in the summer of 2008. That was one of the best nights of my life. So when there is an opportunity for a midnight showing, I'm all in.


And yes, of course, I've jumped aboard The Hunger Games bandwagon, much later than most of my friends. So tonight, at 12:15 a.m., I will eagerly await the vision of Katniss as she gloriously readies that killer bow and arrow of hers.

Let me also clue you into why I love The Hunger Games: I'm a sucker for those spunky girl protagonists. Let me remind you that you are reading the blog of a girl who isn't always that normal. So, yes, when I like a character, I imagine that I myself am actually that main character. This happens a lot. I think I'm Skeeter Pheelan in The Help, using my journalistic skills to write a bestselling book to tell the story of oppressed locals. I think I'm Scout Finch in To Kill A Mockingbird, a tomboy who believes in the goodness of people while also understanding their capacity for evil. I think I'm Elizabeth Bennett in Pride and Prejudice, who fights social expectations and continues to be her witty self while finding her true love. I also happen to now believe that I am Katniss Everdeen in The Hunger Games, who is brave, smart, and just plain badass all the time. Obviously this is me revealing my deepest, nerdiest habits to you, so please don't judge. Just let the English nerd do her stupid thing.

And while you might laugh at me now, just wait until The Capitol picks you in the reaping along with me. Then you'll be sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment