Tuesday, December 27, 2011

My Blog's Birthday Bash

You're invited to a party. Kinda. You can consider this post the entertainment, go grab some chips for the refreshments and crank up some James Taylor for the musical ambience. Voila. You are now attending my blog's first birthday party.

Friends, a year ago today I started my blog with this post. Not anything too profound, just a "Welcome everyone, here is my blog," statement, but it still was a big day in my life.


This started originally under the title of A Broad Abroad (thanks to my creative brother Rudi) and was meant to document my semester in Sevilla, España for four months. Well, it did just that. And I have had a fabulous time looking back on those posts, pictures, videos, and memories of the best four months of my life. My favorite posts from that semester include how I was growing upreminders of my Señora's cooking, figuring out the cultural differencespictures of my friends, and my all-time favorite, my walk to school (this is the one I visit when I'm especially missing Spanish life). So many good things came out of that semester, but one of the least expected things was this blog. I figured, when I came back home, there was no need to write on it anymore. But I was wrong.

I found that, during the summer, I missed blogging immensely. I loved the feeling of writing my thoughts out in words, putting it out there to the universe, and somehow that helped people personally connect to situations, feelings, or life stages that I was experiencing at the same time. I love connecting to people in ways that I don't expect, and I love the courage it requires of me to "put it all out there." When I started up again with the beginning of the school year, I was so happy to be writing again.

Having said that, there can be some pitfalls with blogging. It is my personal life to some extent, so there is the danger of putting stuff out there that people don't like or don't want to read. Furthermore, since it is ME writing about MYSELF, blogging is by nature a self-centered activity. I think the best way to avoid getting caught up in that complex is to focus on how a blog can be used to get your point of view across in a way that is true to who you are, but not overbearing. This is better than serving up a hefty dose of ME to whoever will listen. Also, reading other people's blogs has helped me hone in my own voice.

While I absolutely love getting feedback, response, and connections through my blog, the number one reason I continue to write on this thing is this: I love it. Even if zero people read it, I would still write it. But I truly do love to do this, and I thank you for stopping by, offering your own thoughts, and considering mine.

As I start off year #2, I am so excited to see what happens, where I end up, and what I write. Let's make it a good one!

3 comments:

  1. I think this may cause me to dust off my blogging shoes. At least my consistent blogging shoes. I'm already wearing my 'meh, when I feel like it' blogging shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. congrats! I'm crazily on year 4 of one, consistent blog and year 8 of blogging generally.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yay for a year of blogging anna! love reading your blog & i hope you continue until the end of the age so that Andy & I can always stay updated on our friend Anna's life. thank-you, thank-you, thank-you very much for bloggins (elvis style thank-yous).

    ReplyDelete