Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Allow Myself to Introduce...Myself.

I figured it was time for a post that wasn't just pictures and adventures. Don't worry - more of those to come. But yesterday I was talking to someone about how this semester has definitely broadened my horizons. I've had to grow up in a lot of ways. I've changed in a lot of ways too, almost so much so that I hope I won't have to reintroduce myself to everyone at home. People generally know me as a picky eater, needing to be around people at all times, an English speaker, and not having a fabulous sense of direction. And, last of all, according to my Dad, I need to constantly be working on my "situational awareness." (Classic.) I've had to face my fears of speaking in Spanish, come here alone and make new friends from complete scratch, find my way around a million metro stops and bus systems for airport transportation and travel, walk everywhere and navigate around Sevilla, and to me, the most significant, is TRY NEW FOOD. Here is a list of stuff that I have eaten in completion for the first time in my life:

1. Kalamari. Not only the fried variety, but also a cooked one that looked like a literal mini-squid in its entirety. Tentacles and all hanging off my spoon. The texture is squishy. And gross. But I did it.
2. Salad with iceberg lettuce. For me, this is a big deal. 
3. Pasta stuffed with spinach
4. Cooked spinach. No, did not get stronger afterward like Popeye, just grossed out.
5. Garbanzo beans (aka chickpeas) 
6. Bleu cheese. Smells like a foot.
7. Deep fried "Fishsticks" except not really sure what's in there. I think a lot of seafood matter. You just don't ask.
8. Squash vegetable soup
9. Deep fried minnow/anchovy-like fish, not sure exactly what they are. Ate the head, scales and everything.
10. Tomatoes. Served plain. Ugh - this one still gives me goosebumps when I try to eat them.

I think I'm different in a few other ways too. One little way is the fact that I don't care as much if people will like the clothes I buy (Spanish girls will try anything style-wise), so if I like something, I get it without worrying if others will. I desperately want to grow my hair long to look more Spanish. I also have found that I am much more go-with-the-flow in group situations than I thought - my Type A side has mellowed out a little. One big way is that, being completely sans comfort zone, I've had to learn to rely on the Lord and own my faith for myself. It's a lot easier to "coast" in your spiritual life when you can hide behind familiar church services, school praise and worship, Bible studies, Christian friends and family, etc. Not that those things aren't wonderful - I just think coming here was an extra shove that I needed.

While these things are cool, I am still the usual me, por supuesto. In fact, I am not one of those people who will come back and tell you that Europe is just so much more cultured than the midwest. I happen to  love Wisconsin and Chicago and can't wait to see them again. I think I always will feel like that.

...and Mom - don't get any funny ideas with the above list. Your cooking is perfect as is.
...and yes, the title is a quote from the original Austin Powers. I went there.

6 comments:

  1. Picky is an understatement! Iceberg lettuce? That's about as nothing as food gets. By the way, it took living in Europe for six months for me to learn how to eat, too. Salud!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Anna! I'm glad to hear you've been enjoying Spain. I've been reading your blog since you left and it's cool to see video and pictures. Looking forward to having you back at Trinity, but enjoy the rest of your time there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i hope to never have to eat a tomato...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rats! Now I have to rethink my menu for your return celebration. I think we'll start with calamari stuffed tomatoes with melted bleu cheese on top. Actually, I would like a list of the new food you've tried that you love. Your blog title was prescient (spelling?) - your horizons are BROADened. And we see our little girl growing up online (sniff)

    ReplyDelete
  5. great vocab mom! i think it is spelled correctly too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL... SITUATIONAL AWARENESS!!!!! That is awesome.

    Weird to think my lil sis is all growns up.

    Back to situational awareness... this is hilarious. I totally forgot about that, but we must have heard this phrase a million times growing up. If dad ever starts a rock band (unlikely at this point, but still) I think he should call it "Brian and the Situational Awareness."

    ReplyDelete