Friday, December 23, 2011

Gifts for the Rents

Every year, I struggle with figuring out a Christmas gift for each of my parents. My dad doesn't want much, and if he does truly want something, he will just go buy it. My mom, while I know would love certain things, rarely articulates what she does. I really like to give thoughtful gifts that capture the occasion. But with the very people who raised me, I draw a blank.

Let me just confess:  I've literally once considered buying my father a shoehorn. Whew. I said it. It's sad, but it just felt good to admit.

But this year was different. I'm actually pretty proud of both selections. And, interestingly, both gifts were a collaboration. For my dad, I joined efforts with my brother Alex to make this happen. The third season of the Sopranos. There's more behind this too.


My dad has this obsession with the mob. He is a guy that tries to take the high road. While he is, in every other area of his life, extremely principled and unwavering when it comes to following rules, I think the mobsters play into that small part of him that appreciates vigilante justice. My dad's thoughts on the mafia: "I know it's not right to kill people, but I gotta say, you don't keep your word with the mob and you don't get away with it. You cross them and POW! They whack you."

He loves the Godfather, as well as reruns of The Sopranos, and mentioned a few weeks ago that he wished he had the third season, unknowing that my gift-giving-radar was on high alert. BOOM. Add one mental note-to-self taken in Anna's brain, combine with a stellar free shipping order on Amazon by Alex, and you have one well coordinated and necessary gift. Dad is a happy camper. Now on to Mom. The trickier of the two.

I've debated in my mind on "mom gifts" for awhile. While I KNOW she loves those stores with all the kitchen/cleaning/organizational supplies and latest gadgets, I sometimes get the odd feeling that buying her a gift in that category reduces her to the chores she does around the house like cooking or cleaning. So I'd be getting her something that she likes and wants, but I'm scared to send the message. Like in Father of the Bride when the girl gets all offended because her fiance buys her a blender. Get what I mean? Either way, it makes buying a gift difficult.

Well, I was racking my brain about options and it came to me: Buy her the stuff AND make her life less stressful. Enter our bathroom towel/medicine/cleaning supply closet.

My "gift tag" on the door 

It is a pretty large closet that, over the years, (no offense Mom) has gone completely Lindsay Lohan on us. Out of control.

So. For her present, I partnered up with my dad who was all about the idea. I took a little trip over to The Container Store and bought some organizational stuff funded by my business partner, while I provided the manpower and creative genius. Just about four hours later, after lots of throwing stuff out (2 garbage bags full!) the job was done. A completely organized closet with brand new bins and fun containers. She gets new stuff and a fresh look at what she's got to work with.

As a respect to my mom, I didn't include a "before" picture. But here's the "after." And let me tell you, it is a HUGE difference. If I do say so myself.


So, let's just say that Parent or Guardian Christmas Gifts 2011 is a success in the Gesch household. What have we learned? We've learned that two things are key: 1) Collaboration, and  2) Making Mom's life easier. Well, those two things are key in most of life's situations. I'm already accepting input for 2012...let's get the ball rolling.

3 comments:

  1. whoa. as one who has actually SEEN the before... this is truly a Christmas Miracle!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an awesome gift!! It gives me chills! Ranks up there with the stripping of the kitchen wallpaper gift in which I think you were a part of! AWESOME!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah yes I was the mastermind behind the wallpaper excursion. But your decorating in the first floor is so amazing! For my mom's next gift I'll have to hire you to redesign some of our rooms :)

    ReplyDelete