Sunday, October 9, 2011

Let's Talk About the Weather

Have you SEEN the weather out there lately?! 


In case you are reading this far away from the greater Chicago area, let me say that the weather has been just gorgeous. (Or "just gawgeous" if you are reading it in a Brooklyn accent. Either way works.) Honestly. We've had 80 degree days for like a week straight. And the trees/grass/fields are golden, red, orange, and amazing. I love driving anywhere because of the view. And dangit, I'm just in a better mood! 


Well, the past week has had a certain e. e. cummings poem on my mind. It was first given to me by my uncle Kevin, my high school History/English teacher, and I think he's got some fairly good taste in these matters. It just sums up the vibe of the outdoors. If you're reading this inside a temperature-controlled, flourescently-lighted room, take a moment to unplug your laptop and read it on your front porch or something. (This might take more effort and logistical planning if you are reading this on a desktop computer. Make it happen.)
----
i thank you God for this most amazing
day:for the leaping greenly spirits of trees
and a blue true dream of sky;and for everything
which is natural which is infinite which is yes


(I who have died am alive again today,
and this is the sun's birthday;this is the birth
day of life and love and wings:and of the gay
great happening illimitably earth)


how should tasting touching hearing seeing
breathing any-lifted from the no
of all nothing-human merely being
doubt unimaginable You?


(now the ears of my ears awake and
now the eyes of my eyes are opened)
----
Aaaaahh. Now don't you all want to be English majors? 

1 comment: