Sunday, September 11, 2011

Sixth Grade Stuff

This day is quite the day. It's THE day. It's September 11. And not only is it September 11, it is September 11, 2011. Ten years later. 

I know that today will be buzzing with conversations, stories, tears, and lots of memories. Everyone old enough to remember has a snapshot in their mind of what they were doing when they heard or saw the news. I do. I heard from my friend on the school bus and just assumed it was a big accident that would be sorted out by the afternoon. I figured out later that there was more to it than that. I also really understood the word "terrorism" for the first time and it completely changed the way I thought about the place I lived. 

I was in sixth grade in 2001. I was listening to "With Arms Wide Open" by Creed, "Independent Woman" by Destiny's Child, and "Hanging by a Moment" by Lifehouse. I was a tomboy through and through, complete with my long sleeve blue t-shirt from the boys section in Kohl's, jeans that were too big on my miniscule frame, and black adidas Sambas on my feet. I was all elbows and knees, finally grew out my bangs, put my hair in a ponytail everyday, and thought I was hot stuff for being out of 5th grade and into junior high. It was three days before my twelfth birthday.


Today, beyond reflecting on the horror of those attacks and remembering those affected, I am also just in AWE at the amount of change that happens in ten years. Change that happened to myself, my family, and my world in just a decade. I feel like sixth grade JUST happened. And yet, since then, I've gone through a lot: played lots of sports, written lots of diaries, traveled to new places, left Wisconsin for college, met new lifelong friends, lost a few loved ones, made a million awesome memories, and endured a couple that I wouldn't choose to repeat. I've learned to trust in Jesus as my best friend, and also struggled with times when He feels distant. I kind of want to run back to that sixth grade girl on the school bus and tell her that the next ten years are going to be amazing! And that you WILL grow taller and you WILL actually start to wear cute clothes. And that the world is a giant, exciting place - sometimes scary - but mostly wonderful. Since that day ten years ago, I am a completely different person. 

I guess the only thing that hasn't changed is the fact that those Sambas are still on my feet.

No comments:

Post a Comment