Friday, September 2, 2011

Best of Summer. Oh-eleven.

So I was sitting in my Physics lab, pondering how my summer flew past me. It was definitely a crazy transition from Spain back to the States, and then into my house in Palos Heights to live and work. It was yet another movement toward independence. No more jeopardy sessions on the couch while my mom cooks me some (delish) dinner. But it was a good summer nonetheless. And I think I'm going to miss it. So I wrote down my faves. The Best of Summer 2011.

Best Movie: Bridesmaids. HILARIOUS. I must confess that I usually don't find female comedies to be all that funny. But this little number is tops.

Best Drink: A champagne mimosa toast on the morning of my brother and his girlfriend's graduation from Yale Law School. Pretty surreal.

Best Purchase: This one is a tie. The first, my iPhone. I know that material possessions aren't supposed to bring you happiness, but the exception is found in the iPhone. Say what you will, it just gives me joy. The second, plane tickets to LAX to visit my friends in California that I met in Spain. The anticipation is killing me!

Best Dressed: A random old dude walking the streets of Grand Rapids, Michigan that I encountered whilst on a visit to my high school friends. Trucker/Grandpa hat, no shirt, cutoff jorts*, beer belly, high white socks, and white reeboks. Dancing by himself.

Best Road Trip: A 10-hour drive south on I-65 to Tennessee. We (Nicole and I) went for the cherry limeades at Sonic. OH, and to stand up in my friend Clara's wedding. That too. A word of advice to the state of Indiana: get more interesting. Thanks.

Best Ride: My beautiful dark gray Volkswagen Beetle. Her name is Remy, short for Remington Steele. There's a Pierce Brosnan throwback for you.

Best Moments of Personal Growth: I killed a centipede. And then a spider. And then another of each. Our house has these creatures roaming free and I have had to put on my big girl pants and deal with it, sans crying.

Best Summer Job: Nannying for a family about a half hour away from Palos Heights. A 3 year old girl and 6 month old boy. Wait. Hold up. Spit up/vomit all over your clothes every day, changing diapers, and daily Mickey Mouse Clubhouse sessions don't sound like a good time to you? You just had to be there. It was AWESOME.

This list could've been eight times as long with just as many "best of" moments along with it. But I digress. It's time to make like Dashboard Confessional and say: So long, sweet summer.

my pride and joy

*jean shorts. classy.

2 comments:

  1. yesss...best road trip ever! for reals. i think we should try to make it an annual thing! minus the whole sonic fiasco :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like blog name.

    Your material possessions can bring happiness, just not ultimate happiness [insert well-known St. Augustine quote on restlessness].

    Your VW is the first of its kind to actually look nice. Thanks for not purchasing lime-green or some other obnoxious color.

    ReplyDelete