Thursday, September 22, 2011

Grocery Snob

Living with my friends off-campus for my senior year means figuring out my own groceries. I definitely took the cafeteria for granted my first few years. If only I had an omelette guy in my kitchen every morning! (Well, actually, that sounds a little creepy. But still, if he made omelettes, I'd let him in.) 

Now that we are buying groceries, we try to cut corners in any way possible. Trips to Aldi, coupons, preferred member cards, and generic brands are all allowing us to make it work. BUT. Don't tell anyone...I have to admit that there are just some items that I push my cart right past the generic brands for. On some stuff I've gotta have the best:

1. Cereal - Crunch Berries, Cocoa Puffs, and Apple Jacks. Marshmallow Mateys just isn't cutting it.

2. Peanut Butter - Choosey Annas choose Jif. And only Jif. Sorry FoodClub.

3. Toothpaste - I'm a little more flexible on this one. I like most brands, just PLEASE, not Aim.

4. Soda - Mountain Lightning? Seriously with that name? And a note for Mr. Pibb: I'll continue to buy Dr. Pepper until you get your Ph.D, thanks. I like my soft drinks educated.

5. Mac n' Cheese - Kraft is where it's at. I got the blues!

Now before all you thrifty Dutch moms come bash down my door with a battering ram and pitchforks in tow, there is hope for me yet. It's been done - I've been converted on shampoo.


Now, I know I've written about my shampoo before, but this is important. After all, my shampoo is one of the first things I see in the morning. I used to be an unbeliever in generic shampoo. Suave had let me down in the past. From filmy, residue-leaving conditioners to shampoos that were about as thick as water, I had nearly closed the book on Suave in general. BUT. This summer I visited my friend in Grand Rapids and had to use this brand of shampoo as a last resort. Believe me, I wasn't excited about it at first, but Suave rose to the occasion. For some reason, this (pictured) variety of Suave is AWESOME. My hair ends up so silky and shiny that you'd think I was a Pantene Pro-V commercial girl. 

Okay maybe not. But still, this stuff is good. And with ALL THAT MONEY saved on shampoo, I can afford the above mentioned groceries, right? It all balances out. Just call me Even Steven. 

(Shameless link to related old school Disney Channel show here.) 

No comments:

Post a Comment