Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Good Stuff: Lauren Haney

One thing I love about blogging/writing stuff down is reading and hearing from people who do the same.  The following was written by my good friend Lauren Haney: Social Media director, OPC-er, writer, adventurer, traveler, and fellow JV soccer-er extraordinaire. She is such an encouragement and example to me (and many others). Basically, she's one bad chick. And by bad I mean good in that slangy kind of way. She wrote this little number for people like myself, and yes, she did all that strange grammar and punctuation usage on purpose. Have a read and enjoy. 

Lauren and I at her graduation last May -I was a marshal for the Jr. class.
(Give me some slack for the chubbiness...this is a week
after coming back home from Spain.)

-----------------------------------------

. No Thanks, I'd Rather Be A Freak Out?!

(This goes out to all my about to be, just and post graduated people)

I love punctuation  And grammar  Well actually, I love them both when they're used properly  Otherwise they perturb me  But I hate periods 

Period

Because a period says "It's done," "I'm done," "The end," "Don't add anything else," "There are no other options," "Not looking for input," "Don't participate," etc

It certainly doesn't leave room for things to evovle or adjust or grow or expand or redirect

That's why there's some amazing and unbelievable beauty in a good, long, well-put together run on sentence - you're just not sure where it's going to go or what direction it's going to turn next so you almost feel as if you're on the edge of your seat holding your breath while you try in a most focused, concentrated fashion not to fall out of the car as it careens around turns on two wheels and threatens to lose you entirely with its next could-be-independent clause

And that's the same reason why having no idea what you're doing with your life is beyond okay  Because it doesn't need any periods  The punctuation of a clueless person is questions marks, exclamation points and an over-abundance of commas and man are those all fun  

They all say "I've barely started," "Please add something," "There's too many options to handle," "Bring on the input" and "I love communal participation"

They say "I refuse to end this just because I should"

"I won't stop when I don't know where I'm going"

and "I will take the wisdom of the crowd instead of the foolishness of only myself"

So why use periods at all?  Stop freaking out  Life is way more fun open ended  I'd rather have my life be a freak out than a period
-----------------------------------------

1 comment:

  1. wow. GREAT post. describes this strange time of life in such a better, positive manner. love it!

    ReplyDelete