Saturday, January 28, 2012

Miss Gesch Goes to Washington

Anyone get that reference? Jimmy Stewart would be happy to know that his legacy lives on. (I've looked back and there's a pattern here of me naming my blog posts after obscure references hoping that somewhere, someone out there has the same random tidbits stored away and understand what I'm saying. A girl can dream.)

In addition to the Deep Thoughts I unleashed on you in my last post, I also had the benefit of enjoying Washington D.C. and all it has to offer last weekend. Yet again, I managed to find some fabulous people with whom to reunite as well! First was a very short visit (about 10 minutes only!) with my friend Randy, who goes to school in Kentucky. He was on my semester abroad program last spring and he happened to be in D.C. for a leadership conference through his school. He saw on twitter that I was going to D.C. and texted me to meet up for a second. Oh how social media brings us all together. The second was with my brother Alex's girlfriend, Heidi. Actually, I don't have to refer to her as my brother's girlfriend. I should just say "my friend Heidi," because that's what she is and I love it! She lives and works in the area and we got to catch up over some delicious gourmet cupcakes, starbucks, and Indian food. (I loved it. Spicy.)

Here are those touristy pictures from last weekend. Karyn and I had a great time. Let me say: I loved exploring D.C. because I did not expect it to be such a cool city! The METRO. I love the Metro. D.C. is a lot cleaner than most cities I've been around (butthen again, Sevilla shouldn't really be held up as a beacon of cleanliness by any means) and the vibe is just cool. I know that's abstract, but my mom put it best when I was trying to relay the "vibe" to her over the phone and she said, "Well, I understand - you just feel like you're where it all goes down."

Yes, mother, where it all goes down. Like in da club. It's goin' down. (Young Joc? Anyone?)
This makes me sad, because it shows how we consider some lives important
 enough to bury and honor, and other lives we treat as worthless,
throwing them away like nothing.
We have messed up morals these days.  
Walking in the freezing cold across the Potomac to see our friend Linc
Pretty sure we're the first to ever take a pic like this, right? 
Karyn and I on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial
Reading with Abe, NBD
Delicious Indian food at Heidi's recommendation. 
I'm not THAT big, she's just a little shorter :) Meeting up with Heidi
Our cupcake selection 
My friend Randy. Ahh Spain memories.
Right to Life walk in front of the capitol building 
Braving the rain and madness for the cause
Who wants to go back and visit? I'm in.

1 comment:

  1. Yes! Come back and visit. Or even better - move here. =)

    ReplyDelete