Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Learning Popportunities

Who said that everything on the radio these days is trash? (Well, for one, my own mother.) But I have taken it upon myself to swoop in and stand up for that mainstream pop music that everyone so loves to demonize. (Kudos to you if you immediately thought of this song after that sentence.) In fact, on my last car ride I learned a lot of edifying lessons from pop music.

The ride was about 30-ish minutes and I decided to listen to the words and remember the songs from the ride. Now, I understand that these radio stations play the same 12 songs over and over again so much so that you tend to cry out in anger at the universe. I feel your pain, sister. Nobody likes beating a dead horse. But - who would've thought - hidden within all that overplayed nonsense are some real gems. I love these messages that are playing daily in your cars, kitchens, and orthodontist offices nationwide.

(thanks, Flickr!)

1. "People throw rocks at things that shine."

This is from Taylor Swift's "Ours," and definitely talks about her and her latest (I mean can we talk about how many 2-week relationships this chick has?) boyfriend. But I see it as a general lesson for everyone. I think someone once said it best when they said: Hatas gonna hate. Profound, I know. Basically, when you do good things, when you are successful, and when you are happy, people will try to drag you down just because they can. I realize that the logic doesn't make sense, but there are people who spend a lot of time throwing these rocks. Don't worry about them. Live your life and never apologize or feel bad for having joyous things going on within it.

2. "We go together like peanuts and paydays and Marley and reggae."

This line in Colbie Caillat's "Brighter Than the Sun" just made me think of all you people who I love to be around. It's great when you find people who jive with your style, or as Forrest Gump would say, those who go together with you like peas and carrots. That's something to celebrate. While I love me some Colbie, I do stand firm on the fact that she has poor taste in candy bars. Paydays?! Seriously? Gimme some 3 Musketeers, Butterfingers, Crunch, anything. Even a peanut butter cup for heaven's sake.

3. "Gotta love the life that we livin'"

This is from Flo-Rida's latest song "Good Feeling" that combines retro recordings with his own rap verses. But in all honesty, we really do have to love life. Why live it if you don't love it?! Flo-Rida, I concur.

4. "Oh, oh I know the sun must set to rise."

Leave it to Coldplay to get us thinking deep thoughts on the freeway. This is from their song "Paradise" and shows us a girl who doesn't have a picture perfect situation going on right now, but she keeps dreaming and looking forward to the good stuff that is on its way. Hey, if the sun is down, that means it's only going to come back up. Thanks Chris Martin. One wonders why if you are such a good songwriter, you made the choice to name your child Apple. I guess you can't get everything right.

5. "I'm sexy and I know it."

Welllllllllll. I don't have much of an argument for this one. It was the last song on my drive home (LMFAO's song named, you guessed it, "Sexy and I Know It") and kind of didn't fit in the whole untrashy/encouraging radio session. But in an effort to find something redeemable in this song, I'll say: It's good to be confident.

Plus, it successfully adds another verse to the popular song for kids: if you're sexy and you know it clap your hands! Boom.

No comments:

Post a Comment