Thursday, April 26, 2012

Excitement.

So many fun and cool things are happening!

First, and most importantly (haha), we won our volleyball intramural championship last night! Karley, Mel, myself, Sam, Joel, and Joey (our friends) rose to the occasion and played a really good team to take home that coveted t-shirt. I officially have 6 intramural champ t-shirts from my college career, and at least one from each of my four years. This is an important achievement in my life. I take these games WAY too seriously. I'm considering adding "intramuraler extraordinaire" to my resume as a line under "titles/certifications," but in the name of professionalism I probably will have to refrain. Maybe I'll put it on some business cards...

Secondly, check out my blog's new look! Lauren Sandberg, who is an expert at being both a human being and a graphic designer, made a super cool new header for my blog. I love it! I am also tempted to keep clicking on my blog's bookmark so I can keep seeing its makeover. Yes, it is a rectangle. And this is exciting to me.

Thirdly, I am SUPER stoked to finally be able to tell the world a little bit about what I'll be up to for the next two years! I've hinted at this before, but now it's official and I can tell you: I got placed to teach in a charter school! Anna Gesch, teacher of the youths of America. I'm not sure whether that sounds inspiring or terrifying, but it's happening either way. As you may already know, I was accepted into Teach For America in March to serve in the Chicago region. That is only the first step, however, because Chicago Public Schools are decentralized, and hiring is ultimately dependent upon the decisions of the principals who have autonomy over their schools' own hires.

Courtesy of the LEARN website. Check them out, reading like champs. 
About two weeks ago, I put on my grown-up pants, took the CTA downtown to Teach for America's Chicago offices, and joined about 100 other corps members for an interview day much akin to speed dating. I was scheduled for 6 interviews that were to last for twenty minutes each. It was madness. There were prep stations for interviews and certification tests, as well as millions (slight exaggeration) of other TFA members in suits seeking also to get hired. They range from schools in the ballpark of Duke, Harvard, and USC. I was proudly representing Trinity Christian on my own that day. I took one look around and said to myself, "Well, you're not getting hired today. At least work on your interview skills and make a friend or two!" So that's what I did. Except for on my second interview, the principal said, "Well, I wasn't planning on hiring anyone, but I want you at my school. Let's do the paperwork." Bada bing, bada boom. It was done. And honestly, it could not be a better situation for me.

I am placed at the LEARN Network of charter schools in Chicago, particularly at their Campbell Campus on the west side of the city. They are serving an at-risk population in really cool ways. (Here's their website if you're curious!) I really like the idea of the Chicago neighborhoods within a half hour of this school placement, so sorting out a living situation will be pretty soon on the "life to-do list" that is coming up. I was really hoping for a charter school as I agree with their mission and methods, and am excited by their track records of success. My principal is an unbelievable person and I am excited to see how I can learn from her enthusiasm in all that she does. I signed up two weeks ago, and yesterday I visited the location for the day as well as signed an official contract. I am going to have benefits next year. I have no idea of what that even really means, but I like to say it because it makes me sound like an adult. I still have to ask my dad what the heck the difference is between a PPO and HMO. (I'm quickly discovering that there are WAY TOO MANY ACRONYMS in the adult world. C'mon people someone make me a chart. I can't keep all this stuff straight.)

The visit was amazing. The kids are so full of energy and so are the teachers. The school rents a floor of rooms in a social services building and have covered the walls in bright pictures and fun paper everywhere. Classrooms have a co-teaching setup, so I'll be working alongside of another teacher. An ideal situation, in my opinion, for a first year newbie like myself. I'll most likely, as of this point, be assigned to second grade, but they are still sorting out where I'll end up grade level wise. To be honest, I was exhausted even just watching the teachers do their thing, so I'm fairly confident my late night habits will fall by the wayside. Or at least have to wait until the weekends for next year.

So anyway. This whole ordeal is what is sparking my latest, overwhelming feeling of God's goodness. Yes, it will be hard. Yes, I realize the next year will test me in ways I've never been tested and expose me to things I've never seen. But the idea of jumping in and using my skills to contribute to a place like this is really exciting. So if you're interested in the life of a non-education major who is teaching in urban education, stay tuned. I can feel some pretty hilarious stories coming on the horizon.

3 comments:

  1. I am unbelievably excited and proud of you! It is going to be an amazing experience, Anna. You will be a great teacher!! I can't even wait to hear some stories :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Miss G! ;) Miss Gash? Miss Guess? Miss G! You've got a funny name.
    So proud of you Anna :)
    God is going to use you in amazing ways. and already has. thanks for being a blessing to many!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job, Anna. I especially can sympathize with the "exhausted" comment. Oh to be young again...

    ReplyDelete