Monday, April 30, 2012

Comma Kazi

(I knew I needed a good title for a grammar and usage post - Thesaurus Rex was a close second-place candidate.)

This weekend was one of road tripping, relaxing, and concerting (yep just made up a verb). I'm starting to actually be at peace on the long road trip - some of my best thinking gets done in that sitch. The once-antsy annoying girl is growing up to be able to sit still! Yeah! The concert I went to was AWESOME. I am a complete poser because to be honest I had never heard of her before seeing her live, but it was for LIGHTS, a band with a really cool girl lead singer with glorious techy accompaniments.  She most definitely was an emo kid in high school, with black hair parted a few millimeters above her ear. That way, the resulting sweeping bangs across her face allow for dramatic, angsty head flips. She also had arms covered in tattoos. Meanwhile, I'm from Wisconsin, employ straight bangs instead of the flippy ones, with solely my eyebrow piercing for any sort of punk credibility. Even so, I think we'll be friends. Maybe LIGHTS will want to meet up with Zooey and I for our weekly Tuesday lunch dates. I'll have to pencil her in.
In addition to all that, this weekend was also one of grammar/usage chaos. I'm no expert. I'm not perfect at grammar. I still refer to eccentric infographics for semicolon usage. But some hilarious and wonderful mishaps were invading my Facebook home feed last night and I had to share a few of them:

The Your/You're mixups were ubiquitous. There was the classic "your so ignorant" (demonstrating just the opposite to be true), and yet I also found a rare "You're car is still parked here, just FYI." This one was a special find, because it is unusual for the mistaken Facebooker to add an apostrophe to the word. It's much more common for the lazy "your" to reign in every situation. But this particular individual was somewhat of an overachiever in his misuse. I give him props for that.

- Weird phrases were all over the place. My personal favorite was "I could care less." While I understand that this is used all the time, the phrase in actuality indicates the presence of some caring. You are saying the level of care present is not at rock bottom; you could still go down a level on the ladder of caring. To express extreme apathy, I think the phrase we're all going for here is "I couldn't care less," as if to say that you are at the minimum possible level of caring. I honestly could not have less caring for this situation. Some of you couldn't care less about grammar blog posts. To those, I say: 
I understand. Thank you for communicating your extreme distaste for my post in a quality fashion. Let's try to be friends despite our differing levels of caringness for grammar.

-And now, my all-time favorite of the night. A girl was trying to advertise some things she wanted to sell to anyone who was interested. Fair enough. Underneath a picture of a particular pair of black shoes, she wrote the caption: "Black Satan Shoes: $15.00" Now. I realize she probably meant that the shoes were made of satin and not of some substance related to the Lord of Darkness, but I'm not taking any risks. Satan shoes are no joke. Lucifer can keep his footwear, and I don't care what he thinks about my boycott of his products. That's that.

While I've always thought I hate these mistakes, I discovered last night that I love them. Adds a little flavor to my day. It's just two funny not too laugh, right? Your such a nice person for reading my blog, by the way. Your too kind, really. 

2 comments:

  1. An OLD dear student named KARLEY (perhaps you know her, LOL) suggested I check out your blog.
    I. Love. It. Keep writin', girlie. You've got a strong voice, one that needs to be heard. I'll check in on you now and then. You'll find me @yellingmyheart
    or my blog: yellingwithmyheart.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Liz! I've visited your blog and love your point of view. Keep it up and thanks for stopping by :)

    ReplyDelete