Monday, April 23, 2012

Yellow Fever

This weekend was a whirlwind of hilarity, hickness, and happiness.

Check out those bridesmaids - I call it "Belle Yellow"
Kayla Amison (but now Kayla Gabrielse!), one of my lifelong friends, got married on Saturday. We assembled the girls from high school (and a few others :D) for bridesmaid fun as we got to support Kayla and Ben for their big day. We spent all day together getting our hair done at the salon, milling around at the church, taking pictures through Sheboygan, and hanging out together at the reception. It was a fabulous day. Always wonderful to get back in touch with my Wisconsin friends again. 

The bride and I
Let me tell you a little something about Kayla. This chick moved up to Wisconsin from Florida as a third-grader. She weighs as much as a Chihuahua and is a gorgeous person, inside and out. She is cold all the time (not too much fat for insulation, plus that Florida girl can't get used to the winters here), insanely conservative (she'll be the one waving those Republican posters on the street corners asking you to honk for Scott Walker), and a huge goofball (she enjoys watching cheesy scary movies on Netflix, no chick flicks for her). She has been making me laugh since grade school and I cannot believe she is old or mature enough to be married. But then again, I still imagine myself as a 12-year-old watching Rocket Power while sipping Chocolate Nesquik, so what do I know about maturity? 

She is also one of the most naturally cheerful people I've ever met. She just kind of bee-bops along, bouncing joyfully from one thing to the next. I mean, look at the dresses she picked out for us to wear. Yellow is a great color to describe Kayla. If there is an anti-bridezilla, she is it. No drama, just wanting to enjoy her day and have a great time with her family and friends. When I start to take everything too seriously, people like her remind me to not worry about it, do your best, and keep on swimming. (Nemo reference, just in case my niece Sawyer is reading. I want to relate to audiences of all ages.) Ben, her husband, is also a great friend of mine from home. And he's a great guy. It was really great to see them get hitched. I'm aware that I've used "great" three times in the last three sentences. I'm a great writer. With great range. And great diction. 

Classiness while we got ready. Ooooo fancy. 
Now I'm back at Trinity, ready to start another week, sans voice, of course. Weddings have a way of just making me super high on life, so I'm starting with a little more gumption than usual. Last three weeks of college, here we go!

No comments:

Post a Comment