Sunday, November 6, 2011

Little Boxes

(Random title, i know...an oldie but a goodie.)

So I was thinking. I'm kind of in this weird phase.

I am a senior in college, and let me clarify that a bit: a small, Christian college. I love this experience and have had some of the best years of my life here. Ugh, it makes me really sad to think that my time here is going to end sooner rather than later. But I digress.

In this small Christian college, it's like a different world. Don't get me wrong, it's a cool world. You have all these fun friends around you who are in the same ballpark concerning culture, faith, and background. We aren't a big, rich, party school so I'm not so worried about wearing designer clothes or trying to Jersey-Shore myself up to look cool (yes, I just made Jersey-Shore a verb). I can simply be myself, which is an awesome thing. But a certain part of this little world I've inhabited for the past 3+ years leaves me a little empty. It's the comfort zone.

Let me ask you this: Do you ever feel like your comfort zone is TOO comfortable? I think for the past three years I've lived in that zone a little too easily.

But I'm starting to feel not quite as at home in that little circle anymore. It might sound weird to say this, but being comfortable now feels uncomfortable to me.
One example. Just about every time I get on Facebook, new tiny pink engagement hearts announce a wedding that's happening next summer. I love weddings. I love love. So this is exciting, both for them as people and for me as a supporter and friend. But I'm a 22-year-old girl living in that little circle, and I don't have a little pink heart on my profile in this particular year, my senior year. That makes me the exception to the rule in the small Christian college world. But I think that's alright. I think I like that small portion of me that is foreign in this little circle that I'm from.

I've skipped outside of that circle before. Spain was a huge jump out of that neat little circle. But now I've been back home again for a good chunk of time and I find myself looking at the inner walls of the circle, wondering how on earth I got back here.

And let me just say: you don't need to be across an ocean to get out of the circle. It's not about where you are living, it's about how you are living. What about seeking out people different than myself? What about places I've never explored? What about a new style I haven't tried? What about a story I haven't heard? What about LOVING life each second, even those seconds when I'm waking up and going to class, making dinner, living in my house, and writing my papers? What about looking for goodness in every moment I live? What about looking for the goodness in every person I know?

I don't think that I am content to just live in a little box made out of ticky tacky. I don't think, deep down, that any of us are. We all need something more than the safety of the circle. We need adventure, and although we each find it in different ways and places, we still need it.

And finally, the biggest comfort-zone-pusher I can think of: What about finding ways to have a heart to love people when they do not seem to deserve it? Or show love back to you?

I think that's the most daring adventure of them all.

8 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the only thing I've read on your blog, but it is extremely insightful.
    This is something I experienced at Trinity while I was there as well. I actually failed miserably at getting out of the comfort zone. I look back and I could have done so much more than I did. I wanted adventure and I wanted to do things that would make me feel like I was seizing each day. I remember telling myself that I should go to chapel more or that I should not sit around with my friends and watch a movie or talk, but rather go out and meet new people. I was someone who seemed independent (was not), but was tossed around by peer pressure just like anyone else (hypocrite).

    My observation of Trinity is that most people there were not willing to branch outside their circle of friends. (me included)

    I actually really miss Trinity when I read your post, it is a great place and a part of me wishes I was still there. You have a good head on your shoulders, and I admire someone who thinks like this. You will have a much more fulfilling life if you live like this.

    I think a lot of people our age need to hear this. They need to wake up and get out of their comfort zone. I needed to read this 4 years ago when I was a freshman at Trinity. I went in knowing no one. Found my friends. And the buck stopped there. I had the same 4 friends the whole time and did the same routine the entire time. I needed to go to bible studies and go to chapels and organize events and make new friends that were different then me.

    An offshoot of this post is that happiness is not always about following the same plan (school,marriage,kids,blah blah blah). People at this junction (graduation) seem to force these events because they are afraid of the unknown "real life". My message is to not force anything, but let God reveal his plan daily.

    Great Post Anna-keep it up

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this Anna! Absolutely love it. Praying for your "adventures" to come, big and small and inspired by your challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anna, I think I know where you're at...

    The words of Royal Tenebaum are an apt summary of your feelings: "I'm not talking about dance lessons. I'm talking about putting a brick through the other guy's windshield. I'm talking about taking it out and chopping it up."

    -ec

    ReplyDelete
  5. well said friend. it was nice pondering this today with you. God has awesome plans for you hun, I can't wait to see how He uses your gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never really even considered venturing out of my comfort zone while at the mighty TCC. To be honest, I didn't even really venture out of it afterwards either. There are still things I wish I would have tried (jobs, friends, etc) but now I think I'm a little late. Can't wait to read/hear about what things you do to make the uncomfortable comfortable!
    - J

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for your beautiful comment. I needed to read your post today as I muster up the courage to continue my little adventure. As I see all my friends get engaged this year, I think, "That was supposed to me like 5 months ago!" But then I wonder, did I really want to live in that comfort zone forever? Did I really want that life? For awhile I thought I did. I hated that my perfect plan had been ruined. Would I have been truly happy with my life in 20 years? Probably not! I've realized that if my bf hadn't broken up with me, I would never have had the will to step outside of my comfort zone. I now see it as a beautiful blessing. While part of me is being dragged kicking and screaming outside of my comfort zone, it is my only choice. I know I need to do it! So let's make a vow to try to do new things, to love differently and love outselves outside of our comfort zone!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for reading Kirstin - and I say cheers to that :)

    ReplyDelete