Monday, March 14, 2011

An American in Paris



This weekend I went to Paris with 9 others from my program - it was incredible! The French have definitely scored some brownie points in my book over the last few days. We fit SO MANY ACTIVITIES (that was for you stepbrothers fans) into very little time. We visited 3 museums: the Louvre (the Mona Lisa's home), an impressionist museum with lots of VanGogh (Musée d'Orsay),  and a contemporary museum with Picasso and friends (Centre Pompidou). I am a nerd this way and love art museums, so needless to say I was in heaven. Bonus for us = free admission for people with student visas! I didn't pay a single entrance fee all weekend. Apart from the museums, we went on a sweet 3.5 hour walking tour of the city led by a hilarious tour guide, saw the Eiffel Tower (3 times), saw the Arc de Triomphe, went inside the Notre Dame cathedral during Sunday morning mass, saw the Moulin Rouge, went to La Basilique de Sacré Coeur de Montmartre (a pretty church), ate street hot dogs and probably 73 crepes, and navigated the crazy but really efficient metro system. Fun fact: I found that I have absolutely no ability to look at a word in French and figure out how to pronounce it. I hope you enjoy the pictures - I am sorry that there are lots of them, but I couldn't help myself. I think this was my best weekend yet! 

3 comments:

  1. I love the pictures by the modern art.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh, Paris...

    Brings back good memories of doners, a rude concierge, almost being taken advantage of by gypsies in the train station, and me mostly being in an ill-mood.

    Wasn't the Mona Lisa incredible? So underrated.

    Also, I didn't see a picture or read a comment about Hammurabi's Code. Remedy this quickly.

    I actually left a 10 pence coin at Versailles. You should go back and see if it's there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. eric - yes we did see the code! hammurabi's that is, not davinci's. the ancient egyptian section was boss. didn't have time to get to versailles in the midst of all that other stuff. oh sure thing i'll just skip on back to check it out.

    ReplyDelete