Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Stuff Students Say: March Edition

When your spring break starts on April 14, March is a long month. Last year at this time I was happily on break and not thinking about school at all. I've still got a week and a half left before we are in the clear and break is upon us. With that, let me just say that I've been sitting in bed, half doing grad work and half dozing off and half browsing blogs (I realize I just claimed to have somehow split my time into three halves but it makes sense to me somehow...) and feeling exhausted. I'm doing weird things like looking up symptoms for mono and diabetes and other diseases. I think the disease is spring break fever. And we all know, of course, what the only cure for that is. More cowbell.

Until that day comes, here are some hilarious things my kids said last month.

Me: What did you do this weekend?
Student: I went to church, I went to church, I went to church. Man all we do is church. 

(Yelled out to the whole class during lunch.)
Raise your hand if your daddy has a decent car!!

I need some eyes Ms. Gesch. All you do is make me work and now they are tired.

Me: Okay ladies and gentlemen, time to clean up.
Student: Ladies?! She a lady? No ladies live here. 

(During playtime)
The dog is sick!! Call the vegetarian quick! 

(On a field trip)
We're downtown! You can see the whole United States from here!

I can't wait until it's summer so I can wear my cute clothes, even a tutu, and ride my bike all around town with no training wheels. 

(A freudian slip by one of my girls who was trying to tell her friend not to forget her cardigan at school.)
Hey Monique go get your swagger...I mean sweater! 

Can you take a picture of me? Can you put me on vine?

Student 1: When you take your glasses off you look prettier Ms. Gesch. Your eyelashes get bigger.
Student 2: Yeah we all like your eyelashes.

(Reading about whales)
Whales breathe like people except we breathe through our faces and they breathe through their heads. 

(On picture day)
I didn't do my homework because I had to get my hair done all night. My mom said this is what we are focusing on right now so I just shut up and let her. 

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Anna. Fun to read your blog again (I occasionally drop by). You're so smart to write down the wonderful things your kids say. Just this week, my mom returned to me all my handwritten letters from 1985 to 1994: a whole binder full of letters from my college and post-college years. (The handwriting stopped, alas, when email took over.) I'm getting so much pleasure from reading about parts of my life that I'd forgotten. And one of the areas I've forgotten (and which are not in the letters) are the funny things my students said when I was a grade school teacher. I told myself when they happened, Write that down! But I never did. So keep doing what you're doing, if only for your own pleasure 30 years from now.

    I'm curious, naturally, about your grad school life. What are you studying? Where? I'd love an email from you!

    Warm regards,
    Karen Dieleman

    ReplyDelete