Monday, April 14, 2014

Quarter Century

Brian turned 25! That seems really old and really young at the same time. For some reason, I've never pictured myself reaching that age, one day somehow forever mentally freezing myself at 17 and leaving it there. It feels SO OLD. On the other hand, it feels incredibly young - we are getting married this year - and that heavy and important commitment seems to me to be reserved for distinguished adults. I guess that to be 25 means to be in the middle. I suppose when you're in the middle there is only one thing to do: eat cheesecake.

1901143_482705745164229_2118389428035420808_n

We did precisely that, only after a delicious meal of Italian goodness at Antico Posto, a restaurant out by Brian's apartment. I made us reservations a week or so in advance, and while I like to pretend I did it out of a selfless consideration for Brian's affinity for their food, I think I secretly brought him there so I could eat the ravioli. I dream of that ravioli. And any restaurant that starts a meal with fresh bread and olive oil knows what it's doing.

We ended the night with cheesecake and The Princess Bride. Brian had never seen this masterpiece, so I figured his birthday was a perfect opportunity to be introduced to the literary classic and an understanding of what R.O.U.S. means. Fred Savage doesn't disappoint, people. Kind of exciting to spend this birthday with Brian - it's the first one I've been able to celebrate with him - as I think about all the birthdays and other little milestones to come. I have to say that life in the middle, and my life on the way to 25, is pretty good.

No comments:

Post a Comment