Sunday, March 30, 2014

The Little Black Dress

Brian is in Myrtle Beach with his baseball team on their spring break, so naturally I spent the weekend doing thrilling things like cleaning out my closet (cue Eminem song). In a weird way, it was kind of fun! I made a point to try on everything to see if I still liked it and could foresee myself wearing it within the next year. If I couldn't, then off it went to Goodwill. It was a good time of rediscovering clothes and looking forward to spring and summer (if, in theory, those seasons are still on their way after this crazy winter).

My favorite rediscovery was this little black dress. It is, actually, THE Little Black Dress. It has been with me since the fall of 2008, my freshman year in college, and we've seen lots of events together. My mom bought it for me at a Gap outlet on a fall break during my freshman year of college. 30 bucks. It's cotton, has a tiny black print on it, and roped me in from the beginning with the flutter sleeve. I am nothing if not a sucker for a flutter sleeve. 

It's been to four weddings, countless mornings at church, two bridal showers, out dancing in Sevilla, on a few dates, and lots of other brunches/lunches/dinners out. Throughout college until now my weight has existed within a 19-pound range, but somehow this magical dress has fit me at every stage from my curvy years (studying abroad will do that to you) to my slimmest times. That's a friend through thick and thin, and both me and my self-esteem are very thankful for its faithfulness. I am so excited to break it out again soon. Thanks to this dress for being there through it all. Here's to six more years!

unnamed

No comments:

Post a Comment