Wednesday, April 30, 2014

I Stared at a Blank Wall Today

For 45 minutes.

Without thinking of anything at all.

To anyone who knows me very well, this is alarming, because it's pretty tough to turn off this ever-racing mind of mine. But I was by myself in my classroom today without a co-teacher, the week before MAP testing, with a bunch of restless munchkins. I felt like I was herding cats. Angry cats. Angry cats with pigtails. Hence the after-school-45-minute-no-thinking-or-speaking-wall-stare. 

But they aren't cats, they're children, and a few of them managed to sense my urgency and soften the blows of this job with some unsolicited hugs. I very much love unsolicited hugs. They are just the best.

After I snapped out of it, I managed to make myself dinner and get lost in a book for the next two hours. A great book and some hot chocolate are pretty good cure-alls. But the wall was there for me when I needed it, in all of its uncomplicated, eggshell white splendor. Best part about the wall? It didn't talk to me, or look at me, or need me to do anything for it. It just was. Just sitting there, so I could stare at it.

Thanks, wall. 'Til next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment