Sunday, April 7, 2013

We're Goin' to Kentucky

The title of this post is from a chanting game we do in my second grade room. It starts: "We're goin' to Kentucky, we're goin' to the fair, to see the Señoritas, with flowers in their hair!..." (it goes on, and if you'd like I can perform it for you sometime). Well, I really did go to Kentucky to go see some señoritas two weeks ago! A batch of my beloved friends from my semester in Spain go to school in Asbury, Kentucky and a few others congregated there with me for the weekend for an awesome reunion. It was SO SO SO good to see them. I feel like reunions are something that just brings joy to my life like nothing else. Just look on the right side of this blog's screen, click the "reunions" tag and see for yourself. I love me a good reunion. Always will.

IMG_1830
Me, Lisa, Angie, Chelsea, Emily, and Linnea
We got to hang out at Asbury, hang out at Chelsea's house, get Sushi and Japanese food at a fabulous restaurant, stop by Chik-Fil-A, and get some southern BBQ. Hmm. That was a lot of food I just listed now. Oh well. 

IMG_1825
Myself, Linnea, and Angie
My favorite night was Saturday night, where we technically didn't really do anything. But it was a lot to me. When we were in Spain we never got to hang out with each other in our Señoras' homes. We were always out and about doing something out in the street or in restaurants. It was amazing to be able to sit in Chelsea's house, paint nails, get haircuts (she has her cosmetology license), watch Pitch Perfect (I've seen this movie 4,579 times and it never gets old), and laugh our heads off. It was a good old fashioned sleepover and it could not have been better. Midwest girls like myself enjoy this good clean fun, even when we're probably too old for it. I'll never be too old for nights like this. 

I hadn't seen these people in two years and we got to pick up right where we left off. I got to see how they've grown, changed, and gone down their own cool paths. I got to share my own path and share how I've grown in my own ways. And, yet again, here I was afforded the opportunity to sit back and reflect on how good I have it. I was thinking about all this stuff on the long trip home. The goodness just always keeps on coming, even when there's hard stuff mixed in there. I got to reflect on the people in my life and be reminded of how good they are. I got to reflect on the places I've been led and the good grace I've been granted to get me through each stage. I got to reflect on how a good God has filled this world with good things, people, and places. That is good stuff. 

IMG_1844
I miraculously did not ruin my nails within 30 seconds of painting them as I usually do
IMG_1842
This is Chelsea. I love this picture. 
IMG_1829
Not the plate of food that I ordered, but I had to document this spread
of pulled pork, cornbread, and macaroni and cheese. So southern. 

1 comment:

  1. you have no idea how happy this makes me. I couldn't help but imagine my own semester abroad reunion with the girls who are currently sitting next to me on the couch in ecuador. my heart is so happy. what a sweet, blessed event. love.

    ReplyDelete