Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Currently...

It's been awhile since I've done a "Currently" post, which is a really fun kind of way to reflect on the state of affairs in your life from time to time. I read the last two posts I did of this installment, and had to chuckle to myself as there seems to be a theme of weddings and training for running events that is cyclical in my life. Here's what I'm up to in April of 2013. 


558099_10200469776299402_1229565907_n

Loving: I am loving two things in particular these days. The first? Daylight. Not the Matt & Kim song (although I do certainly love that as well). The fact that I am driving to and from school in relative daylight outside is an unbelievable difference from the Dark Ages of November through February. How did I stand it?! I can actually get home from school at 5:30 and still have enough time to go on a run or finish an errand or cook a meal without feeling like a nocturnal vampire. Daylight has done wonders for my general happiness. The second thing I'm loving? CAPTAIN CRUNCH. I had no idea that there was an ALL BERRIES version of this cereal. Holy cow. So good. 

Reading: Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safron Foer. It is all things hopeful, heartbreaking, original, and special. You follow Oskar Schell, a nine-year-old boy, around his hometown of New York City after he has lost his father in 9/11. He is on the mission of his young lifetime, and bit by bit you get to know the context, mind, and family history of the brilliant kid. It is wonderful because it reminds you the beauty and honesty of a child's brain. It is also wonderful because it shows how goodness and brilliance can still happen in the midst of darkness and brokenness and somehow it's all okay. That made no sense, I realize. Go read the book and you'll understand. 


extremely-loud

Watching: Documentaries. I wrote a little review of the most touching one I've watched lately earlier this month. Thanks to Netflix, I have a steady supply of them to keep on my to-watch list.  I don't love to read nonfiction books, but I'm finding nonfiction movies like these fascinating. Some are definitely better than others. But a really good one takes an issue or a person or a struggle and portrays it in just the right way that you know it is true and authentic to the subject matter. I love it when a storyteller, or moviemaker in this case I suppose, can show the heart of another person without bias and discoloring.

Anticipating: June 19. People, it's on its way. The last day of school. This school year WILL one day ACTUALLY DEFINITELY EVENTUALLY CERTAINLY come to an end. That was a lot of adverbs just now. Sorry. Let's just say that you should call me up to hang out on June 20. I'll be in a good mood. 

Listening To: Hick jams. I'm not lying. Florida Georgia Line is cranked to full volume on a daily basis during my morning commute. I'm also obsessed with Darius Rucker's version of "Wagon Wheel" these days. This winter I was all into complex, introspective, alternative music (and still am), but something about the promise of warm weather coming fits the sunny, carefree, simple vibe of country music. 

Planning: The Bachelorette festivities of everyone's favorite, Karley Mae VanDyke. As the maid of honor, I thought this element of the duties would be more stress than fun, but it is totally going to be a riot. The blueness is going to abound, my friends. I get to plan it with Jordan, another one of the bridesmaids. There is a huge group of about 25 of us that are getting together to laugh and have a wonderful time. I can't wait to post details of what we do on that day/night, but as the food, plans, and outfits are all starting to come together, I just have pure joy and excitement for May 11. She is the funnest girl I know. She deserves a fun party. (That incorrect usage of "funnest" was actually in honor of Karley's interesting personal grammar rules.) 

Working On: A half marathon. The 15k last fall did, indeed, spark in me a desire to conquer another running event. Well, let's not say conquer. Let's say finish. I did the Shamrock Shuffle with Jen the first week of April and I ran 5 miles last Saturday. Both felt okay, and I'm looking to make each weekend run a little longer leading up until July 21. This week is 6 miles, so we'll see how that feels on Saturday. 

Wishing: For a bike. Like mentioned above, daylight is lasting longer these days. People are out running and walking and I want to be a part of it all. I am giddy with excitement for summer in Chicago (oh so different from winter in this city) and a bike would be a fabulous way to explore new places in the sunshine. The tax return check hopefully is coming any day now, and I think a portion of it will fund a bike. That, and a new pair of high top sneakers. Such mature purchases for a cosmopolitan girl of the 21st century, I know. 

No comments:

Post a Comment