Wednesday, August 8, 2012

One Week

Well folks, we're one week into my first year of teaching 2nd grade! Many more weeks are to come, of course, but it feels SO GOOD to say that one week has been accomplished. I'm celebrating with a party at my apartment. This party involves me, my pajamas, a fudgsicle, the couch, and the women's beach volleyball gold medal match. Pretty exclusive. Here are some random thoughts about my first five days, because let's be honest, these days ALL my thoughts are random and arranged in a way that makes no sense. Here we go:

So far I've had one puker, about 8 criers, and one attempted assault with a stapler. The attempted assault was actually pretty humorous in the moment, but the adults involved all held very serious poker faces in  protest to the violent intent of the act. Don't worry, she went to detention all afternoon and was straightened out. The thing we used for leverage? Her headband. Take it away and you have that girl around your finger.

One lesson about effective teaching that I've learned already: MAKE EVERYTHING INTO A CHANT. We can go over the rules eight thousand times, but they won't sink in until you chant it in unison. It's a weird phenomenon.

Also, my kids don't have to "go to the bathroom." They have to "USEEEE ITTTT MS. GESCH! Ms. Gesch I gotta USE IT. BAD! And I can't wait!" They can never seem to be able to wait. This freaks me out because I want to call their bluff, but definitely don't want to deal with the consequences if they do, indeed, gotta use it bad.

And finally, I've learned one more thing. 2nd graders give the best hugs ever. I didn't think one age group could monopolize the hug category, but it is indeed in fact the case.

Now off to bed by 9:00 (yes, believe it!) for day 6. I'm hoping this change in bedtime schedule won't cause my social life to wither away into oblivion, but let's be honest. I'm already categorizing a night of TV as a party. Uh-oh. 


My co-teacher doing a read aloud while my class sits on the carpet.
Don't they appear so calm and peaceful? Don't be fooled. 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Anna, Your Blog post brought back memories of volunteering at the Agape Center in Roseland. Becky and I spent a week helping with Day Camp and very quickly learned what "I got to USE it" meant. Congrats on completing week one. Keep loving those second graders.
    We are so proud of you!
    Aunt Kim

    ReplyDelete