Thursday, August 23, 2012

A-ha Moments.

So I haven't been able to blog in the past week because of a glitch with posting photos. Super lame. I have to start posting them through a different website than blogger, but long story short I couldn't keep this quite as updated as I would have liked in the past few days.

ANYYYWAY.

I wanted to write about an amazing moment. It was short. It almost could have been not a big deal, but it came on a particularly tough day during a particularly tough week. It was today. Not going to lie, for the past four days I've been feeling sort of out of control of this whole teaching gig. Obviously one of those minor downs in the grand scheme of things, but still. It is what it is. Let me tell you about this beautiful moment.

One of my girls, a shy, sweet, and extremely-long-eyelashed kid, had a breakthrough today that I got to witness. Our class is reviewing the concept of telling time from last year. The first grade teachers said they had a tough time and still needed to master the idea. We had all these clocks printed off and she was trying to write the time beneath them. The ones that read 2:00, 3:00, and 5:00 on the dot were no problem, but she was lost for the others. I worked through the first two with her using the strategies that she already knew, and then I asked her to try a third with a different strategy. She kind of got it and then we did another problem with the different strategy.

Five minutes later, she called me back practically jumping out of her seat saying "Ms. Gaaaaaashhh! Ms. Gasssshhhhhh!" And then said the best thing ever:

"Ms. Gesch you taught me to do clocks! I never thought I could do clocks before but now because of today I can do it!"

And while earlier today someone allegedly stabbed someone else with a colored pencil, someone ripped their worksheet in half, and someone screamed in my face in the hallway, when I go to sleep tonight I will choose to remember that (adorable) girl and her clocks.

Sweet dreams :)

2 comments: