Sunday, May 6, 2012

One Year.

Welp. It's been one whole year.

For me, the first day of last year was not on January 1st. Last year started on May 6th. That's when my life started over; that's when the new beginning really came.



Today marks the 366th (or is it one more than that due to Leap Year? meh cut me some slack here) day I've been back in the United States. Back from my home in Sevilla, España and my four-month adventure there. A year ago I took the flight back home to Chicago. A year ago I squeaked out broken and pathetic "Te amo," to Jose Antonio, my Spanish brother as he carried my (15 kg over the required limit) luggage to the airport bus. A year ago I said tearful goodbyes to some of the best people and friends I've ever met as they went to their own home states. A year ago I sprinted through the international gate when I saw my older brother Rudi grinning from ear to ear as my official welcome party back to the U S of A.

Since then a lot has happened.

I can't even believe how much.

I returned to Cedar Grove, Wisconsin for the first time after my grandma was no longer residing there. I got my first car. I met an amazing mentor and got the privilege of watching her kids for the summer. I went out with my friends and realized what cool people I know. I worked for the school newspaper and found my weird nerdy love for the news section. I played my last season of soccer ever. I got somewhat better at a regular devotional life. I cut my bangs back in. I got a new sister (to be made official this September!). I had a few (okay, more than a few) freakouts about the future. I took part in a few awful conversations. I took part in many more wonderful ones. I laughed my butt off (figuratively) with my roommates, my best friends. I road-tripped like nobody's business. I got hired for my first real job. I (almost) completed my senior year of college.

But it wasn't just my year. It was your year too. Just think, everyone could make a list like this. Think how much happens in a year to each and every person. Think of all the happiness, joy, heartbreak, love, and growing that happened. If we tried to write it all down, there wouldn't be enough paper on earth to tell our collective stories.

So. How does it feel to be back, one year later? Sometimes I really miss it. Sometimes I feel like I led a secret life in Spain that nobody here at home really understands. That sometimes I have a hard time trying to communicate who the real, post-Spain Anna truly is. Do I want to go back? Without a doubt. But it was time to come home. There's other things I want and need to do too. There are adventures I'm ready for right here. There are mountains to climb in Chicago. What will I be saying the first week of May a year from now? What will you be saying? How will we have changed?

I have no idea. But I can't wait to find out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment