Friday, May 25, 2012

Adios Mis Niños

I guess I knew a lot of "goodbyes" were on the horizon for graduation. It's those that you aren't prepared for that sneak up on you in the worst way.

Something that surprised me about my college years was the amount of babysitting I did for four years. You know those types of girls who squeal and swarm the second a baby enters the room? Yeah. Not me. Not that I have anything against babies! I happen to think they're adorable, but just hate battling the crowds of girls and exposing my weak repertoire of baby songs. I tend to speak to children like they are my own age, so the baby talk thing is not very natural to me either. I think all these babysitting jobs happened so that they will let me be a mom someday. (When I say "they" I mean the board of people who let you have kids. There's one of those, right?)

All three summers in college were spent nannying full-time, and throughout the school years I had steady babysitting jobs (a few here and there for Sawyer and Xander also of course) to bring in some extra cash. This family I've been with for all four years. The mom, named Ellen, was more of a friend than an "employer" and can make me laugh like I can't believe. She had twins G & J followed by a son N a year later. That means about three kids in a year. Someone pour this woman a glass of wine. I came in when they were 4, 4, and 3 years old my freshman year. She later added a third boy, M, my junior year. They now are ages 7, 7, 6, and 1. I have no clue how she does it. She has sort of adopted Mel, Karley, and myself and we have helped her out through the years. This family is awesome.

Mel, Me, and Karley, with J, G, and N over for dinner
before we moved out of our college house. 
Me and the same crazy crew at the end of my freshman year! 
I've officially decided that when I'm a functional adult I'm going to be as cool as Ellen and her husband and invest time and friendship in poor college students. Anyways, getting off campus to do my laundry for free and watch CABLE TELEVISION my freshman year of college was like a vacation in and of itself. Don't tell Ellen, but I would've come free just for that. Suckerrrrr. 

No comments:

Post a Comment