Saturday, May 4, 2013

Today...

...was a really, really good day. This is going to be a boring chronology of the events of my weekend, but I want to record it so I can remind myself at school next week that I really got to do all these leisurely things.

This was a ridiculous week for me at school. After last weekend of NO sleep thanks to my frat-boy-neighbors next door (ummm can the Ke$ha be at least turned to half volume after 3 am?), I spent the past 5 days going to bed at 8:45. It's reached that point, people. On top of the tiredness, my kids seem to have contracted cabin fever and want OUT of school NOW. The testing pressure is on with our standardized state tests coming up in the next two weeks. I'm packing the test prep in, they're acting up, and everybody just needs some fresh air in Room 22. It's time for this testing nonsense to be over. (Cue a rant about how I don't like it that seven-year-olds are taking high-stakes standardized tests.)

BLOG1
My cousin Scott and I strolling down Michigan Avenue
All that said, this weekend was my first in a long time without hectic plans. I had no clue what I'd do. On Friday I drove out to hang out with Rudi, Steph, and kids. Rudi, Soy, and I made our own performance of the three little pigs. Soy played all of the pigs (very dramatically I might add), Rudi was the big bad wolf, and I was the narrator. Then the kids went to bed and we watched stand-up comedy specials followed by a fabulous Blackhawks win on TV. I love nights like those.

BLOG3
We found these awesome tulips. Even in Chicago,
Packer Nation lives on.
Today I woke up and got brunch with Jen and her boyfriend (I ordered an amazing smoothie and I'm going back just for a repeat of that flavor explosion). Then I spent the afternoon with my cousin Scott who came downtown to see my place. I showed him around Pilsen as we walked to the train and went downtown to see the Picasso exhibit at the Art Institute. This guy is quality. (I'm referring to Scott when I say "this guy," not Picasso. After seeing his pieces and reading up on the history behind it all I'm realizing he was prettyyyy sly even as an old guy with like 592 mistresses.) I am reminded more and more each day of how blessed I am to have my family. Favorite new fact I learned about Scott today: he keeps a file cabinet at his desk full of his secret stash of snacks. Genius. 

BLOG2
Then I zipped down to Orland Park to shop with Miss Melanie Lawrence for her outfit for next weekend. (For some reason I have assumed the position of Mel's personal shopper. I'm not complaining.) Yes, folks, next weekend is THE bachelorette party for Karley Mae. We bummed around the mall, found her a dress, and ended our night with frozen yogurt. It's the best way to end any outing, in my opinion. She's an amazing teacher in a special education classroom and we swapped hilarious stories about our kids. I honestly wouldn't believe half the stuff she said if I didn't know from my own experience that all the chaos is totally real life. 

Weekends like these, full of the everyday, somehow fill me up like nothing else. I wish you all days like this. 

No comments:

Post a Comment