Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Mean Girl

I knew it would happen eventually.

All the signs were pointing in that direction.

I've officially become a mean teacher. Maybe the meanest. 

Here's the quick little story: One of my kids was "cutting up," as we like to say. Also known as trying to be funny so everyone else laughs at him. I told him to go chill on the carpet so he could get himself together and come back to his seat in a few minutes. He then blared out "MSSSS GASHHHH CAN I GO TO THE BATHHHROOOOMMM!?" to which I replied that we were all going as a class in 5 minutes (we have to go as a class on bathroom breaks because our school is taking standardized tests that require silence in the hallways, so I can't send him out alone). This kind of thing happens approximately 6,534 times a day and I've never had a problem. Except this time, instead of him nodding his head and waiting a few minutes, he had an accident on the carpet.

ImageResizer.ashx
I'm sorry about the time I made you pee your pants in class.
And I'm sorry for telling everyone about it.
And I'm sorry for repeating it now.

I felt terrible. Like, absolutely terrible. I can not shake it. I helped him out into the hallway once my co-teacher got back and dealt with him, his parents (that's another story), and myself. I explained to him how awfully I felt about it and of course how he needed to be following directions in the first place so that I could've really understood that he had to, indeed, use it bad. He said he knew that he should've been following directions and not yelling out. He also said he knew that if it is truly an emergency he can quickly go and explain it to me afterwards. My apology was given, his apology was given, and we're all good. Luckily my class was pretty chill for some reason at this time and he wasn't embarrassed at all and only one or two kids even knew what had happened. I keep telling myself excuses like "Hey, there was nothing you could've done! He would've been sent right back in our classroom if he went in the hall by himself because of the testing going on! He shouldn't have been acting crazy! He should have told you earlier!" Still, no matter what, I go back to the fact that I am the teacher who made a little kid have an accident. I suppose it could happen to any teacher. But tonight I totally feel like scummy Regina George when she wouldn't let Gretchen Wieners wear her white gold hoops to school.

And that is SO. NOT. FETCH.  

No comments:

Post a Comment