Thursday, February 9, 2012

The Dilemma

I've been worrying about this little guy for awhile. He's been around for over a year and he's super cute. I kinda love him and don't want him to ever leave. But alas, they say he could keep me from getting a job.

In Park Guell up in Barcelona last March

Yep, I'm talking about my eyebrow piercing. That little guy is one of my favorite things. I'm not usually one to do rebellious things with my appearance - my hair has never been dyed, I didn't catch the goth wave, and the thought of getting a tattoo freaks me out completely for three reasons: 1. I don't like permanent things 2. I don't like pain and 3. Needles freak me out. So last year, before becoming a broad abroad, I decided to just do something I wouldn't normally do. I figured it would only last a few months, right? So I grabbed Mel, Lauren, and Karley, who bravely watched me get stabbed in the face a few nights before I hopped on that plane. No, it didn't hurt all that bad. No, the world didn't end when I called my mom to tell her the news that I got it. And no, I didn't fall into a nail somehow, I did it on purpose.

And here I am a year later, filling out applications for jobs and knowing that the inevitable might have to happen. The dilemma remains: to keep or not to keep the eyebrow thing? (Hamlet's mode of questioning works for any situation: To study or not to study? To shower or not to shower? To eat the red velvet cupcakes leftover from the super bowl party, or NOT to eat the red velvet cupcakes leftover from the super bowl party? These are the deep questions of a college senior, my friends.)

I might have to get rid of him. I've heard mixed reviews: from "It actually helped me get my job," and "It shows your confidence in who you are Anna!" to "That's so unprofessional,"and "People won't ever take you seriously." Well, I think the answer is probably somewhere in the middle. Yes, my personality and presence more than makes up for the presence of a tiny piece of metal. But no, I don't want to give someone any doubt of why I wouldn't be the best hire around. I like hearing the various views on this topic as they are usually very different from person to person. The job interview world is a new one that I plan on crashing soon.

So I'll have to figure out how to reconcile my love for this little guy and my love for the idea of being gainfully employed. With a fairly important interview looming in my near future (yowza!) his days just might be numbered. Maybe. We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment