Sunday, May 1, 2011

Smarty Pants

The whole class in the bullfighting ring! 
Not really, but I AM finished with all my classes and exams. Friday marked my official last day of being a junior in college. Woah. Sorry all you Trinity people who have a bit to go yet, but it feels wonderful. I had an interesting situation with my class this year. There were only TWO beginners in the entire program, another girl (Rebekah Jongert for all you Trinity people who know her) and I. Our professor, Cecilia, is wonderful and we had a blast with her. Class was three hours a day and completely in Spanish. From time to time she would throw in fun things; we would have class in cafés for a change of scenery, along with little field trips to the Giralda (cathedral), Museo de Bellas Artes (art museum), the Alcazar (old royal gardens), and walks in the streets and neighborhoods for little scavenger hunts. Unfortunately, two weeks ago, Rebekah had to go back home early due to being really sick. So the last two weeks have just been Cecilia and I, basically just having lots of conversations in Spanish about what we find interesting (favorite movies, politics, religion, travels, etc.) and more class. Last week she had me over to her house and made me lunch as we watched Harry Potter 7.1 in Spanish - awesome.

My Spanish has improved light-years since the first day I got here; I am amazed at how it just came to me after about a month. I would say I am better conversationally; the grammar is still not wonderful. But between talking in general on the street, all the mealtimes with my Señora and my family, and my professor, I have learned to get my ideas across pretty well. And furthermore, Cecilia is a stickler for the Andalucian accent (Sevilla is in Andalucia, a region of Southern Spain). This includes a "th" sound for every "z" and soft "c". They also drop the endings of words sometimes. So now, instead of "Gracias," I'm just used to saying what sounds like "GraTHia." I know, so authentic. Now just a few more days to enjoy Sevilla and then I'll be packing my bags for my flight back to Chicago. I can't believe it is May 1 already! See you all SOON!
Ceci and I in Rónda on a school excursion 

No comments:

Post a Comment