Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Da Bulls



Yesterday Ashley, Nicole, and I had quite the cultural experience! We went to an afternoon of bullfighting at the Plaza de Toros. Apparently Sevilla and Madrid have the two best bullfighting rings in all of Spain. It was a beautiful spot. But when the fights started, I had to cringe. It was weird to see them taunt a confused animal to its death and then have a huge crowd of people cheer in a standing ovation as a group of horses dragged the collapsed bull off across the arena to be butchered. I also had to laugh at the macho matadors, who are dressed in this hilarious little ensemble, strut around with their chests out. No shortage of ego there whatsoever. To be honest, we started to actually cheer for the bulls. Have no fear, I'm not joining the local chapter of PETA anytime soon and I will never give up my love for a properly cooked steak, but this is one little tradition I think the world could do without. Oddly though, it was incredible to be there because the atmosphere was amazing. A once in a lifetime experience - a bull fight in Spain - and so glad I didn't miss out on this one. The video below is the first bull that they fought - you can see it finally get finished off by the main matador with the red cape...then a shot of the crowd waving their white handkerchiefs at a job well done.

1 comment:

  1. Yikes. Yeah- cool experience... but eerily tortuous.

    ReplyDelete