Tuesday, January 25, 2011

La Primera Semana

A week ago today I left the states for Sevilla. This trip so far has been an adventure in itself and I am excited and curious as to what will come in the next 100 or so days until I return! Just to give you a general information update, I am living in the district of Sevila called Triana with my host mom, Mari Carmen. My roommate is named Erica, who is from Azusa Pacific University. Also living with us are Carmen's son, Jose Antonio, his wife, Joanna, and Carmen's daughter, Julia. I started classes on Monday and have sessions every morning from 9:00 - 12:30 with only me and one other girl in the class because there are only two students at the beginning level (talk about a good teacher-student ratio). So far, the first few classes have been great and I am right with the material. Honestly, I learn the most Spanish at mealtimes with my Senora, who is awesome. In this past week, I've learned a few things about Spain:

1. The cold. It might be 45 - 55 degrees here, but that 45 - 55 degrees is FREEZING. Here's why: no heated homes. Yes, you read that correctly. In Chicago I have a massive puffy coat to my knees equipped with a fur lined hood (you Trinity people probably have seen me in it) and I warm up as soon as I come in my dorm room. I couldn't fit that thing in my suitcase to bring here. And in Sevilla, when you come inside from the cold, you never warm up. You just stay cold. So I've tried little tricks to help myself out. I wear tights under my jeans every day. Double up on socks. Adopted the Brian-Gesch-patented "cocoon" method with my blankets every night so that every iota of body heat is maintained within the covers. I'm coping. 

2. The food. Actually, (brace yourself, mom) I am loving my meals. Carmen is a great cook and for some reason I am starting to like stuff I never really liked at home. As a notorious picky-eater, I consider this development a miracle. 

3. The schedule. It is COMPLETELY different from home. Breakfast at 8:30. Lunch at 2:30. Supper at 9:30. Not only are the mealtimes different, but siesta closes the entire city down from about 2:30-5:30. How sweet is that?! A culture that blocks off 3 hours for everyone to take a solid nap. My kind of place. Also, nighttime just gets going at 10:00, so everything happens later. I've seen moms pushing strollers in the road at 1:30 a.m. Actually, it is safer for people to be out at 1 or 2 in the morning than it is to be out at 6 in the morning. 

4. The social life. This is one part I love so far. In one way, it's kind of weird because from what I can tell at this point, nobody has people over to their house. You would never call up your friends, boyfriend, or girlfriend to come over. You always go out to meet at a cafe, restaurant, park, bar, or somewhere else. The socializing all happens in the streets. I love how "out and about" everyone is. It's fun. 

So just a few wonderful things that are happening here. I still miss everyone a lot and if I think about it TOO much it's too sad, so I try to stay busy and keep my schedule going with stuff to do. I am meeting a lot of new people and am making some friends which is cool. Thanks for thinking and praying for me at home from time to time, I definitely think about you guys a lot too! One week down, and many more to go! 

8 comments:

  1. Love this blog, Anna Gesch. I love your writing and it seems like you're just on the phone talking to us...minus the fact that we're reading. i check your blog eryday.

    loving your adventures girl!
    kiss a spain boy. :)

    -Karlie Monsma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear that you're doing well and I'm shocked that you like the food. I loved the food when I was there, but I never thought that you would like it.

    Hope you're not too homesick- enjoy all your time while you're there... you'll miss it when you come back home.

    Also, is it possible that I stayed at this woman's house? Are there records of this kind of thing? It sounds really similar to my set-up over interim (mom living with her son and his family).

    Don't kiss too many spanish boys.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anna!! that sounds like a lot of fun! I am jealous. Siesta sounds awesome... Also, let's update the music feed with some Spanish tunes right? haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice. I would love to see a food-specific post sometime with photos. It sounds like it is amazing.

    I'm sure you are loving the naps. Perhaps you can bring that bit of culture change back to the States.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rudi - I don't think you stayed with Carmen because her son's wife just came to live with her like two years ago. But I am sure we have similar scenarios.

    Alex - I think dad is secretly Spanish - work in the morning, come home for lunch, eat steak, take a nap, go back to work. When I figure out how to ask my Senora in Spanish if it's okay for me to take a picture of her meals, I will do so!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Eating at 9:30 at night would throw me off. But, the siesta would rock. Americans could learn a thing or two from them about the pace of life. You are causing me to want to take a trip there from your awesome pics. It's just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Alright, I love that you went abroad cause I SO HEAR YOU on so much of this.

    -host family = best thing in the world
    -the cold = SAME IN AU, i didn't get warm until october when summer started, no hope for you EXCEPT what saved me was buying a hot water bottle for my bed. those things are gold.
    -food = i did gain 20lbs. oops. STAY STRONG YOU CAN DO IT. also i started liking a way lot more when i was eating with my host family i think at first because i felt rude not to finish it. never was able to swallow the tomatoes though. that attempt ended badly.
    -have freaking fun. if i get a job i want to try to get my butt out there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So great to hear how you are doing Anna! It sounds like you are making the most of it. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete