Saturday, February 22, 2014

Currently...

It's amazing what a good night of sleep can do for a girl. I finally slept in today and it has done volumes for my happiness. This week…this month…has been pretty rough on this first grade teacher. School has been an extra dose of crazy and I can't seem to find my footing. I've been waking up just a little unhappy these days (I blame YOU, evil Chicago winter of 2014) and finally, finally, I woke up today feeling like my old, optimistic, carefree self. I'm taking time to reflect on the good things that are going on in my little world. Here is what I am currently doing in February of 2014.

unnamed-2
My front steps. 

unnamed-1
Georgia and I together at the Art Institute.  


Loving: My latest visit to the Art Institute, thanks to Brian's agreement to go with me. I haven't been there since last spring, and I've missed the place immensely. It was cool to go through the museum with an American History expert, as he commented on his favorites and why he thought certain pieces were interesting historically. I, of course, relied on the impressionists, my old faithfuls, for my must-sees of the day. I'll be back soon for sure. 

Reading: Teaching a Stone to Talk by Annie Dillard. I was missing the nonfiction genre, particularly Dillard's version of nonfiction, from my college days and decided to order this book. I've only read Pilgrim at Tinker Creek before this, but this collection has not disappointed. She makes the world come alive in a way that I can't believe. It's really beautiful writing and I wish one day that I could write with even a fraction of her descriptive power. Short stories are good for the soul. 

Watching: Sherlock. Holy cow. We just finished the whole series and I feel terrible for the fans who got into it at the beginning, because they had to wait two whole years between each season. It's a show like I've never seen before: each season is three episodes long, and each episode is about 90 minutes. The producers are basically creating a movie trilogy for each season. Beyond the cool format, this show has some of the best writing and characterization you can find. It is suspenseful, quick, interesting, hilarious, exciting, and human all at once. They adapt the original books into a modern day setting really creatively. Plus, it's on Netflix. Perf. 

Anticipating: My second half marathon. It's coming up in June. One of the best feelings of my life was completing my first one last July - it's funny how something that seemed impossible to me when I saw it on paper became completely doable with a few months of practice. As of now I can run for 3 miles at an acceptable pace. I clearly have some work to do, but I'm excited to get back off of the treadmill and on those long runs again. 

Listening To: The Frozen Soundtrack…obviously. That goes without saying. But on another note, (pun intended) I have been streaming Van Morrison more and more on Spotify, thanks to a certain guy's influence on my musical taste. I'm digging it. 

Planning: Well, I suppose this is sort of obvious, but wedding planning is well underway! Things like engagement shoots, save-the-dates, DJs, tastings, and salons are all being booked. It's funny, because I always thought this time of wedding planning would be stressful and slightly overwhelming, but so far we've agreed on what we want and are just happy to get closer to real life together! I'm sure as we get closer the crazies will start to settle in, but right here, a few months out, it's been a great ride so far. 

Working On: My mad cooking skillz. If you know the guy I am marrying, you know why I'm working on this. My mother is an excellent cook, as is Brian's mom, so I have a lot to live up to. Lately I've tried pork chops, homemade pizzas, chicken with angel hair, and salmon fillets. I'm happy to accept any ideas for new recipes to try, as long as someone with minimal talent can execute them. (I am referring to myself here.) 

Wishing For: SPRING SPRING SPRING SPRING SPRING SPRING SPRING. Did I make that clear? This winter has been crazy, but I can see hints here and there of days when some of the snow melts,  a few glimmers of sunshine peek through, and the anticipation is killing me. Spring means all sorts of things: trips to Boston, bridal showers (still seems surreal that I'll be attending my own shower), apartment hunting, and running outside. Oh how I can not wait to run outside. 

1 comment:

  1. Shweet post, ma'am. :-) I think I shall do a similar post on my blog today as well. Good call! By the way, which half are you running in June?

    ReplyDelete