Thursday, July 3, 2014

Stuff Students Say: June edition. End of year edition. It's over edition!!!

Here we are. I've finished my two years of commitment with Teach For America. And as you can see from the last two and a half weeks of silence on my blog, it's a hard thing for me to reflect on and think about. It's a hard thing to sum up. It's a hard thing to grasp. So, while I'm over here in wedding planning limbo, I'll at least give you a look at what my kids said in the last two weeks of school. I miss them.

Student 1: Does that say "food"?
Student 2: Yeah, it says food! DUH. Like food. F-O-D-D. Food. 

(At the Shedd Aquarium, in response to a classmate who was whining that we couldn't get in to the dolphin show, an extra event that you had to purchase a separate ticket for.)
Look, you gotta stop crying. Only certain people can see it and we ain't certain people. We just regular people!!

(Asking about my wedding.)
So you gonna have a big white cake? So if I be good can I have a piece?!

Student: Ms. Gesch you had soft hair like this your whole life?
Me: Yes, I suppose I have.
Student: You guys! Ms. Gesch said she had this kind of hair when she was a baby!!!

(In our share circle about what we did over the weekend)
We got cable. It is the best thing you guys. 

I don't want to do word work. That stuff makes me throw up. So I better not learn any more about words because I don't want to get sick. 

Student: I won't be at school tomorrow. I got an appointment for my hair.
Me: Well I still think you should ask your mom to take you after school for the appointment - we would miss you!
Student: Ohhh no no no. This kind of hair appointment take all day. You gotta just sit there and wait forever for it to be done. 

(On the last day.)
Will you be my mom? 

No comments:

Post a Comment