Friday, August 23, 2013

Show Me the Money

This is one of those wise-words-of-my-dad moments, so if you're not in the mood for some life advice, go ahead and move on. I, on the other hand, am not above any advice to this whole adult world thing that I'm living in right now. It's a humbling experience and I grab hold of any wisdom I can to put in my pocket for later.

I was on the phone with my dad the other day after school. He's really good about calling me to check in over the phone. Our conversations are usually about 10 minutes or less, but it's just a good thing to touch base from time to time, and he remembers to do it more often that I remember. We were meandering through our usual catch-up conversations. Usually one of these questions is: "How are the boys?" Or most recently, "How is the boy?" and one of the questions is most definitely, "How is your situational awareness?"

Then we somehow got on the issue of money and how we know people on both ends of the very broad spectrum of the haves and have-nots (not to use the terms in the hyper-politicized manner you're thinking of; I'm no Marxist) and how we all fall somewhere in between. I know children who do not eat dinner at night; some of my kids only eat the school breakfast and school lunch provided in their classroom. I also know there are people who do not blink twice at a meal that costs 10 or even 100 times what one of those school lunches cost for their daily lunch. We all (or most of us) come in contact with either end of the spectrum from time to time.

I was talking over some money things of my own with my dad and going on one of my worry trips about whether or not, in the coming years, I'll be ready for things like down payments on houses and the like. I'd rather not be another twentysomething drowning in her credit card debt (I am thankful to have 0 dollars of that...) and manage my money somewhat logically, but even then, I get worried about money. My salary is not very exciting. Let's just say I didn't get into the charter school gig for the money. 

But. But. But. Hold on a second. I also am extremely blessed. I have enough to cover rent, food, gas, and even have more than enough left over for clothes, plane tickets, and the odd expense that is coming on the horizon, like how this laptop on which I'm typing is about to byte the dust. (Okay terrible pun. Couldn't resist.) I do not need to go without dinner, and I do not need to think of contingency plans if my landlord evicts me. I do not ever need to wear the same shirt 5 days in a row, and my large dress collection is a little embarrassing. In some ways, by society's standards, I am considered poor because of my salary, but in most ways, in all the ways that influence my daily life, I am actually very rich. And this goes around in my head as I know friends who make twice, three times, and even four times my salary as fresh college graduates.

This is where my dad comes in. He reminded me to be happy for those with the big salary. He reminded me to be compassionate and understanding for those without one. He said all that is fine. We'll stay in this life with however much money we have for about 70, 80 years. "I would hope, that above all else, that I am spiritually rich."

And I hope so too. Because at the end of my 70, 80 (maybe 100? maybe less?) years, I won't be wishing I did anything else but this for my first years out of college. It's very simplified, and sure, I'll have changing opinions on how I use my money here and there, but I think that's a good guiding north star in keeping some perspective. Take that advice and save it for later, friends, because this one's a keeper.

1 comment:

  1. I really love this post, anna. thanks for vocalizing these thoughts :)

    ReplyDelete