Monday, February 11, 2013

Dream Weaver

mlk2


This one will make your heart melt. Or at least mine did. In honor of Martin Luther King, Jr. day last month, we got all inspirational in Room 22 and became influential leaders ourselves. Each of my 23 students wrote their own "I Have a Dream" speeches modeled after MLKJ himself. We used the format of the speech and they filled in the blanks with things they had a dream for and where they wanted their future to go and what they wanted to change in this world for the better. Then they each delivered their speech in front of the class (a big step for second graders!). This is the best part: after each presenter was finished, we all gave a toast and clinked our Juicy Juice apple juice boxes and took a sip in his or her honor (I stole this idea from my friend Sam who did it with her sixth graders this summer during Institute). It was so precious. Below are a few actual quotes from the speeches. Sometimes I'm amazed at the visionary minds seven-year-olds can have. I wish I could tell you the backstory for each kid that makes the speeches that much more relevant and close to home. Beautiful. 

mlk1
Cheers! 

I have a dream that families would get along and love each other instead of arguing.

I have a dream that nobody would get shot.

I have a dream that people will just stop fighting.

I have a dream that we will help homeless people.

I have a dream that kids can be allowed to play outside all day. 

I have a dream that someday someone will say to me that you have made a difference in the world. 


mlk

1 comment: