Sunday, January 27, 2013

Good Friends

150970_4808372699673_596024878_n
Miss Ashley and I 

January has been full of chances to reunite with friends from different little parts of my life. The beautiful Ashley Wisz (you first met her here) from my semester in Spain came to visit me for a day and see my life here in Chicago. We went to the afternoon show of The Second City, got dinner at Simone's, and watched Pitch Perfect. I know, that sounds like A PERFECT DAY to me as well. Acca-believe it. She is a beautiful, fun, and vivacious girl who just got engaged! She's gearing up to get married and start a new life adventure this June and I had to hear all about it. We had a great time catching up, reminiscing about hilarious European moments, and dreaming about what's going to come in the next few years. I am addicted to reunions. Can't get enough...

IMG_0266

...which leads me to last weekend. We had a Teach For America reunion with Zach, Julia, Sam, and myself and got to relive a little piece of our time together at Institute. We caught a show by a band called The Freelance Whales (we all kept making stupid comments about how nice it must be for these whales to work from home) at Lincoln Hall (super cool place) and had a great time. The venue is attached to a bar and was relatively small with no seats for the audience, which made for a nice atmosphere. This band has inspired me to learn to play bass. There was one chick in the band who was wearing the most doubty looking thrift store 90's dress who played the bass. She had black hair cut in a bob with bangs and red lipstick. The dress was denim and floor length and ugly. It was awesome. I suddenly have a nagging itch to cut my hair off, cut my bangs back in, and start wearing frumpy ensembles whilst pseudo-playing the accordion and jumping around onstage with a band of cool guys. Then I remembered I'm a teacher and that frumpy denim isn't my best look. But it was tempting. We'll see if my impulse gets the best of me. I think I'll play for a band called Cubicle Dolphins. 

14818_4876122593378_196476851_n
note the photobomber behind me. gold. also, sam stole my glasses. 

25947_4876124673430_2104029578_n
co-teachers back in business

After the Spain reunion, the TFA reunion, I fit in one more reunion saved for Trinity friends! Karlie, Andy, Jeremy, and Jacquelyn came up to the city (from Iowa and Palos Heights) to see my apartment, check out my favorite coffee shop in Pilsen, and come to church with me. It was happiness all around. 

I just finished up another weekend full of Downton Abbey (OBSESSED and not ashamed) and am now capping off my Sunday afternoon with a healthy dose of laundry folding and watching Pride and Prejudice. Apparently I am really into the whole English thing these days with my choice of programming. I find their understated wit perfectly brilliant. (Read that last sentence with an accent, please.) Any other people looking for a reunion, comeeeeee onnn downnn! 

1 comment:

  1. So great to visit you last weekend! Andy & I keep talking about how much we loved your church & how great it is to see God working in your life. Pretty soon you should schedule your visit to Pella so we can show you our favorite coffee shop & church! :) Peace & blessings friend.

    ReplyDelete