Thursday, February 24, 2011

Rookie Mistakes

As I am sure anyone who is learning a foreign language has experienced, I have definitely embarrassed myself in Spanish to other students and the locals. My mom just wrote me about her experience abroad in the Netherlands, when she ordered a fish with no legs (meaning to ask for a fish with no bones), only for the waiter to reply that ALL fish have no legs. I can relate. These are my worst two so far:

1. About two weeks in, I was at lunch one day talking with my Señora and fumbled my words (botched the gender, number, tense, the whole shebang) like four sentences in a row. Naturally, she couldn't understand what I was trying to say. So we were laughing and I said, "¡Estoy embarazada!", which cued more laughter from her. Apparently "Estoy AVERGONZADO" is the correct way to say "I am embarrassed." "Estoy EMBARAZADA" means "I am pregnant."

2. You might have already seen me post this one on facebook, but in case you didn't, here it is. This past Sunday my church, which is really small, had a cultural celebration day, where they had something interesting from each nationality represented in the congregation (Of which there are TONS). Mainly dancing and singing. Then someone was like, "Let's get all the American students up there!" So there's about 15 of us, and we passed the mike around to say one thing that has made Sevilla a great experience or that is different to us, etc. I love my Señora (who is a member at this church), so I wanted to say that she was one of the reasons I love it here; that she is the best in Sevilla. Small problem. Didn't really know the crucial difference between la mayor (the oldest) and la mejor (the best). So, on my turn, I took the mike and told the whole congregation that I love Mari Carmen and that she is the oldest in Sevilla. Everyone laughed, including Carmen, and I fixed it. Not my greatest moment.

I love hearing stories like these - everyone in our program has at least one or two. (If any of you all have a funny one, let's have it!)

This week has been crazy. Just finished up my exam for Spanish 102 and am packing for an EARLY departure tomorrow to go visit the Canary Islands! Two friends and I are staying in a place near the beach on the south side of the big island. I'm excited to explore the area and hopefully get a cool hike in there somewhere as well. Packing myself as many sandwiches as I can so I can buy as little food as is possible while there. I just KNOW that makes all you fellow cheap Dutch people proud!

4 comments:

  1. I definitely made the same mistake as you! I have often told people that I am pregnant. :) Definitely not the case!!

    While I was studying in Sevilla, I had soooo many of these moments. Two that I can remember are:

    Talking with my Senora's nephew. I was explaining the scar on my wrist and that I had surgery. I wanted to tell him that I had a screw in my wrist... Instead I told him that I have an outlet in my wrist. Wow would that be handy!

    Another time I was trying to order a mint milkshake. Instead of ordering a mint milkshake... I order a shake of the brain! (batido mente) For future reference, do not do this! They will laugh and laugh.

    I guess it is just part of learning the language. At least we can have a sense of humor and laugh it off. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was in Europe over Spring Break last year with my soccer team, one of my teammates gave our taxi drive the peace sign as a "thank you" for our ride and the nice talk we had on the way back from a club...little did we know, the peace sign in the US is equivalent to flipping the bird in England...haha The cab driver stopped the car, rolled down the window and proceeded to tell us not to do that again while we were here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When Gwendy and I lived in The Netherlands, an acquaintance changed a letter or two and, at the local bakery asked for "two loaves of bread, snotted upon" instead of "sliced". I remember asking where the peanut butter was (in the store), understanding the answer, and being so excited, I raced out of the store, leaving a huge amount of change (when we had NO money to spare) with the check out lady. She ran me down and gave it back speaking, of course, perfect English.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Anna! I loved this. It reminds me that I'M not the only one who makes silly cultural/linguistic mistakes like that. I think that although they may continue to pop up here and there, by the end of the semester you will look back and laugh to see how far you've come! Be bold and brave, and own those mistakes :) It's always okay to have a good laugh at yourself, haha! I sure do. Thanks for posting dear, I love reading about your experience.

    ReplyDelete